Chesham House

With the Mission House and the former Beech House the best pre Victorian domestic buildings in Kettering, Chesham House dates from about 1762. Notice the elegant doorcase, but the iron gateposts have disappeared.

In the early 19th century the house was the home and factory of John Cooper Gotch, a banker and shoe manufacturer who pioneered the trade in the town. When the family bank collapsed in 1857, five years after his death, the house was bought by J. T. Stockburn, but later repurchased by the Gotch sons who staged a remarkable recovery from the disaster of 1857.

Built of Northamptonshire sandstone, painted and rendered, with pergolas and paving in Portland stone, the building has recently been restored, and is now offices for starter businesses under the management of Northampton University.

Considered to be one of Kettering’s most haunted houses.

Jasmine House

Jasmine House was on the corner of Lower Street and Tanners Lane. A large advertising hoarding now occupies this space.

The three storied house was home to another member of the Gotch family, the Kettering banker Thomas Henry Gotch with his wife and four children.

The next owner for many years was James William Steff, the founder, owner and first editor of the Kettering Guardian. The weekly paper was produced in 1882 from premises at the bottom of the garden.

Part of the Elworthy Brewery building can be seen on the left.

Researched by Ian Luck

error: Content is protected