1958

Meadow Road

What is now known as Meadow Road is one of Kettering’s oldest surviving roads and has had four names over the years.

From 1405 and for the next 400 years it was known as Mill Lane after the Fulling Mill situated at the bottom of the lane within the Slade Brook. The Fulling Mill was used in the process of beating woven woolen cloth while wet to cause the opposing fibers to interlock and form a more homogenous textile. Mechanized fulling mills appeared in Europe in the 12th century. Kettering had a flourishing cloth industry at this time along with a dyeworks probably situated near the mill.

On Thomas Eayres map of 1721 it is called Mill Lane alias Goosepasture. Geese once fed here on the meadow prior to being sold at market. By 1804 it was known as Goose Pasture Lane.

In 1834 the Kettering Gas Light and Coke Co was formed and situated itself in the meadow at the bottom of Goosepasture Lane. The works were constantly extended throughout the 19th century and the road was finally renamed Gas Street. The two giant gas holders were demolished in the 1960’s.

During the 1960s road-widening scheme, the long wall and old buildings disappeared to be replaced by Wilson & Wilson solicitors office and later Sir John Browne Court old people’s flats.

The Talbot Inn dates back to the early 1800’s and is one of the few remaining buildings. It was rebuilt around 1900, when it was owned by the Kettering Elworthy Brewery. Now closed and being redeveloped as flats.

Gas Street renamed as Meadow Road.

Researched by Ian Luck

1924
error: Content is protected