The Cross-Keys Coffee Tavern

The tavern was opened in 1880 and named after the emblem of the Bishop of Peterborough. With the backing of the Temperance Society, it provided an alternative venue for those who disliked public houses.

The restaurant could seat 180 diners, segregated into 1st and 2nd class dining rooms, with a separate Ladies’ dining area. There was a ground floor billiards room and a sprung-floor ballroom for dances and parties. The proprietor for many years was Mr. R N Tarry of Bugbrooke.

More recently it has become a nightclub.

Researched by David Brown

error: Content is protected