1912

'The Earl of Dalkeith' Public House

Leather merchants W H Staynes and Smith built the premises in the late 1880s. Originally a two-storey warehouse it later became a billiards and snooker hall in the early 1900s, and in the 1970s and 1980s was a furniture showroom for Francis Watts. It opened as a Wetherspoons pub in 1996.

Because the land on which it was built was owned by the Dukes of Buccleuch, the pub was named The Earl of Dalkeith after the title given to the eldest son of the Earl.

Researched by David Brown

error: Content is protected