The Gaumont Cinema (The Pav)

The Electric Pavilion in High Street was opened in 1913. Kettering’s first purpose-built cinema and the first to screen “talkies” could seat 650 with no balcony.

In 1927 the “Pav” as it was known locally was taken over by Gaumont, who introduced the first talking pictures to Kettering in 1929.

Gaumont became part of the J Arthur Rank Organisation in 1942.

Major renovations took place in 1953 with the re-opening performed by a young actress called Joan Collins. It closed in 1959 and was demolished the following year.

The site today is occupied by Superdrug.

Researched by Maura Bright

error: Content is protected