The George Hotel

Kettering’s historic George Hotel, pictured above, in the early 1900’s.

Robert Smith in 1826 recalled that a public house having the sign of the Cock stood on the site of the George ‘about 100 years since’. The 1896 bill of sale claimed that the hotel was in direct line from the station to the principal streets. Substantially built of red brick ‘is of an imposing appearance’ and has a portico over the entrance from Sheep Street as well as an excellent arched cold cellarage; with an area of 100 superficial feet.

The stables consisting of ten loose boxes, a cow house for eight cows, a large yard and a pig yard stood on the street frontage where now the handsome Piccadilly Buildings face the library.

Researched by David Brown

error: Content is protected