The Horsemarket and the Trading Standards Office

Facing away from Market Street, on the right hand side is a fine stone built structure. This was the National Infant School, Market Street, with the teacher’s house adjoining facing London Road, built in 1820. The original schoolroom of 70 by 20 feet can still be made out. For many years the building has served as the County Council Northern Area Trading Standards Department (formerly Weights and Measures) with the former playground now a car park. The teacher’s house is now a Fabric shop.

The Weights and Measures Department served the market area to the left and right of where you are standing. This was the original horse, cattle and sheep market.

Dalkeith Place and Horsemarket occupy ground that at the beginning of the last century was called Hogs Leys “because it was in great degree covered with grass upon which the pigs used to feed”. As the area became built upon, part of it was re-named Horsemarket to commemorate a horse fair held there for many years. The remainder was called Dalkeith Place, as a reminder of the importance in Kettering life of the Dukes of Buccleuch, whose family were by far the largest landowners at the time of the 1805 enclosure acts.

Researched by David Brown

1909
error: Content is protected